US officials have confirmed the man police were searching for near the Roosville border crossing has been taken into custody.
Just before 4 p.m. this afternoon, US officials confirmed that the man they, and the RCMP, were searching for has been arrested and is in custody south of the border.
A number of RCMP officers, who were deployed to the area to support the on-going search are now in the processes of demobilizing, as such area residents may note increased police vehicle traffic as they return to their respective areas.
The Christina Lake Fire/Rescue is getting an early start to the wildfire season after firefighters responded to two recent calls — the latest on Haagland road Friday.
Christina Lake Fire/Rescue said on its Facebook page firefighters work more than five hours to get the wildfire under control.
Christina Lake Fire/Rescue was assisted by Grand Forks Fire Rescue and BC Wildfire Services.
Earlier in April, Christina Lake Fire/Rescue crews were called to an unattended slash burning pile that extended to a nearby tree line.
The Kootenay/Boundary region has seen another spike in new COVID-19 cases in the province the BC Centre of Disease Control data shows.
The BCCDC Geographic Distribution map show more than 100 new cases in the Boundary, and East and West Kootenay regions, with Windermere in the East Kootenay showing the highest number of COVID-19 cases at 34.
Cranbrook and Kimberley have 23 and 13 new cases, respectively, while Creston has 12 and Fernie eight.
In the West Kootenay, Nelson has 13 new COVID-19 cases while Trail has eight and Castlegar six.
To ensure learners receive the financial support required to continue studies through the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Provincial Government is providing increased emergency assistance to Selkirk College.
Earlier this month, the Ministry of Advanced Education & Skills Training announced additional emergency funding for all 25 public post-secondary institutions in British Columbia. Selkirk College will receive $175,000 in funding for 2021 to go along with the $159,500 provided in 2020.
Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, and Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, have issued the following joint statement regarding updates on the COVID-19 response in British Columbia:
“Today, we are reporting 873 new cases, for a total of 113,702 cases in British Columbia. Due to a delay in the Public Health Reporting Data Warehouse (PHRDW) lab system, these numbers are preliminary and may be adjusted once confirmed with PHRDW data.
RCMP said in a media release Monday, that criminal charges have now been approved by the BC Prosecution Service against a Castlegar man accused of robbing a local convenience store Sunday evening.
RCMP said on April 11, 2021 shortly after 10 p.m., front line RCMP officers responded to a report of a robbery just committed at the 7-Eleven convenience store situated in the 1900-block of Columbia Avenue in Castlegar.
Police were told that that suspect, who had previously been identified as a shoplifter, re-entered the business after being told by staff he was not welcome.
Ed. Note: Transparency demands I acknowledge that I, the editor of The Source, count two of these authors among my best friends. I find them to be relentlessly kind, thoughtful, generous, and driven to be the best versions of themselves they can possibly be. I highly recommend this book as the product of beautiful minds and massive hearts. ~ Kyra
Like the rest of the province, Interior Health is also seeing an increase in new COVID-19 cases.
Ending of April 3, 2021 the BC Centre of Disease Control Geographic Distribution map shows an influx of new COVID-19 cases, with the Windermere region in the East Kootenay topping the Kootenay/Boundary with 24.
Revelstoke, in the Columbia region, is listed with 25 new COVID-19 cases.
Fernie has 13 COVID-19 cases while Creston and Nelson each reporting eight.
Criminal charges in relation to a double stabbing back in February 2021 have been upgraded following a review of the police investigative findings carried out by the BC Prosecution Service, according to Castlegar RCMP NCOIC Sgt. Monty Taylor.
Main Street Diner owner Nicholas Diamond decided enough was enough, closing the doors to his Baker Street restaurant Saturday afternoon after numerous visiting patrons were ignoring COVID-19 safety protocols.
In a Facebook post, Diamond said he made the incredibly tough call Saturday afternoon during tremendously busy day for what he felt was in the name of community health and safety.
“At lunch today (Saturday) we had an incredible influx of out of town visitors moving thru my business,” Diamond’s Facebook post said.