Back to top

Fire guts home of licensed grow-op in Trail

A legal grow-op went up in smoke this morning, after a house fire in the 1400 Block of Neilson Street in Trail this morning.

Kootenay Boundary Regional Fire Rescue (KBRFR) Cpt. Greg Ferraby said the call came in at 8:37 a.m., and nine Trail and three Warfield firefighters arrived on scene by 8:43 a.m.

“Station 374 responded to a report of smoke coming from (the) roof area of 1451 Neilson St.,” he said in a press release this morning. “Station 374 duty crew arrived on scene to heavy smoke exiting from (the) roof and eaves.”

He said they were advised upon arrival that it was a licensed marijuana grow-op.

The fire was completely under control by 9:31 a.m.

He said the house, which was unoccupied at the time, is an older one, and the fire appears to have been caused by an electrical issue.

While the fire was entirely contained to the house, and the structure of the house is intact, the interior was essentially gutted and electrical wiring will have to be brought up to code before Fortis will turn the power back on.