No one injured in fire at housing co-op Friday
A fire at the office of the Woodand Park Housing Co-op on Silverwood Drive this afternoon may have caused $2,000 or more worth of damage, according to fire chief Gerry Rempel.
The call came in at 2:47 p.m. after a torch being used to effect plumbing repairs sparked a blaze inside the wall of the building. The repairman saw smoke coming from the hole in the wall where the work had been done, and immediately called 9-1-1.
Nine firefighters, including the chief and both deputy chiefs, responded and had the fire under control in minutes.
No one was injured, and no homes were damaged, only the office unit.
“I’m glad they called it in so quickly,” Rempel said. “It could have been much worse.”