Fire in Deer Park destroys home, threatens to require area evacuation
Sad news coming out of Deer Park this week – an elderly couple has lost their home and belongings after a chimney fire blazed out of control and burned their house to the ground.
Castlegar RCMP Cpl. Debbie Postnikoff said the call came in at 10:41 p.m. on April 12.
“Members were dispatched but, as it happens, Deer Park is out of the fire protection area, so fire crews did not attend,” Postnikoff explained. “When members arrived, the house was fully engulfed in flames.”
Postnikoff said the fire spread to surrounding brush, and the high winds that evening prompted officials to consider evacuating the entire area – but two resident volunteers showed up with a water tanker and were able to help contain the blaze.
“It was very lucky there were no other structures nearby,” she said.
She said paramedics also attended to treat the residents for minor smoke inhalation.
She said the loss may be compounded by the fact that homeowners outside the fire protection area find it very difficult to get fire insurance.
There were no major injuries as a result of the fire.