Time running out to cash in on FortisBC rebates
December marks important deadlines for customers who want to get money back when they make energy-saving home improvements.
More than 1,500 customers have signed up for the popular Okanagan and Kootenay Energy Diet programs, and are now poised to take advantage of rebates. For those who haven’t signed up yet, it’s time to hurry, as the December 13, 2013 registration deadline is fast approaching. To qualify for rebates for many FortisBC programs, energy-efficient home upgrades must be completed by December 31.
“Registering for an Energy Diet is a great starting point for customers who are thinking about making energy-saving upgrades to their homes,” said Tom Loski, vice president, FortisBC customer service. “The next critical step is to follow through with the recommended upgrades to enjoy lower utility bills, a more comfortable home and to qualify for rebates.”
In addition to the FortisBC programs, LiveSmart BC offers rebates for energy-efficient home upgrades. Participants have until March 31, 2014 to complete their upgrades and a post retrofit evaluation with a Certified Energy Advisor.
Below is a list of programs that are scheduled to end soon. To learn more about the energy diet in your neighbourhood, visit fortisbc.com/energydiet. To find out more about current rebate programs, visit fortisbc.com/rebates.
Kootenay and Okanagan Energy Diets
· Participants have access to up to $6,000 in rebates from FortisBC and LiveSmart BC.
· Program provides a discounted energy assessment to customers with homes built prior to 2006.
· Priced at $60, the energy assessment is 85 per cent off the regular price of $400, and costs even less in communities where regional governments have topped-up funding.
· Some participants may qualify for loan programs to help finance the energy upgrades.
FortisBC PowerSense Home Improvement Program
· Provides rebates for qualified ENERGY STAR® lighting, clothes washers, fridges, freezers and bathroom fans.
· For electrically heated homes, it also provides rebates for insulation, programmable thermostats, windows, doors, heat pumps and space and water heating systems.
· Improvements must be completed by December 31, 2013.
· Applications due to FortisBC PowerSense by March 31, 2014.
ENERGY STAR Natural Gas Water Heater and EnerChoice® fireplace rebates
· $300 available for energy-efficient fireplaces.
· Rebates for high-efficiency water heaters ranging from $200 – $1,000 depending on the type.
· To qualify, purchase the appliance prior to December 31, 2013 and apply directly to FortisBC by January 31, 2014.
LiveSmart BC Efficiency Incentive Program
· Up to $4,000 in rebates available for insulation, air sealing upgrades and regional bonus offers.
· Complete energy-saving improvements, then book and complete a post-retrofit assessment with a Certified Energy Advisor by March 31, 2014.
· The final assessment costs $150.
· The energy advisor will confirm the upgrades were safely installed and will help the homeowner apply for LiveSmart BC rebates.
· The post-retrofit assessment also gives the recipient’s home a final EnerGuide® rating, which is a standard measure of a home’s energy efficiency.
FortisBC is committed to helping customers conserve energy and get the most out of their energy dollar by providing financial incentives and energy saving tips for natural gas and electricity. Since it was founded in 1989, FortisBC’s PowerSense program has helped Southern Interior electricity customers save more than 445 gigawatt hours. That’s enough electricity to power 35,000 homes for a year.