LIBRARY MUSINGS: Non-English books and school supply swap
In the past few months, I’ve heard from a few of you that it would be nice for the library to have books in other languages. If this sounds like a good idea to you, please come let me know! I’d also appreciate your feedback on which languages you’d like to see, and what types of materials (adult books, kids books, etc).
School Supplies Swap
We will be having a school supplies swap on August 29 and 30 for anyone who wants to share, give, exchange, or just take any school materials. We’ve got plenty here to get things started – pens, pencils, paper, binders, duotangs, etc – but donations are welcome! (bring them by on either of those days, please).
Just a reminder – we’re at the Christina Lake Living Arts Centre every Wednesday from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. You can return your items there, have us bring you books for pickup, or simply browse through our permanent collection (and the new items we bring every week!). We also host a vibrant book club the last Wednesday of the month at 1:30 pm – anyone can join, and the new season will be starting up in September. Call the library for more details.
What You’ve Been Reading
Last month I reported on the most popular books and DVDs of 2013. This time around I’d like to tell you about the most popular mysteries and non-fiction books.
Most popular Mysteries of 2013
1. Notorious Nineteen (Janet Evanovich)
2. Calculated in Death (J.D. Robb)
3. Private London (James Patterson)
4. Standing in Another Man’s Grave (Ian Rankin)
5. The Surrogate (Tania Carver)
6. Guilt (Jonathan Kellerman)
7. Robert B. Parker’s Lullaby (Ace Atkins)
8. The Beautiful Mystery (Louise Penny)
9. Snow White Must Die (Nele Neuhaus)
10. Kinsey and Me (Sue Grafton)
Most popular Non-Fiction books of 2013
1. The Great Pearl Heist (Molly Crosby)
2. Artisan Breads Every Day (Peter Reinhart)
3. Home Work (Lloyd Kahn)
4. Stiff (Mary Roach)
5. The Untold History of the United States (Oliver Stone)
6. Sow Simple (Christina Symons)
7. Tender (Nigel Slater)
8. Visit Sunny Chernobyl (Andrew Blackwell)
9. Nigellissima (Nigella Lawson)
10. The Last American Man (Elizabeth Gilbert)