UPDATED: Snowfall warning remains for West Kootenay
Environment Canada still has a snowfall warning in effect for the West Kootenay area as of 5 a.m. Tuesday.
The forecast has snow ending this morning then cloudy with 60 percent chance of rain showers or flurries and accumulations of five centimeters.
Tuesday evening there’s a 40 percent chance of rain showers or flurries changing to 60 percent chance of flurries after midnight.
Wednesday is to be cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries early in the morning then a mix of sun and cloud.
Currently at the Castlegar weather office, there’s light rain with a temperature of 1 C.
Environment Canada issues snowfall warning for the Kootenays
Time to break out the snowshovel and boots.
The first winter storm of the season is on its way Monday night with Environment Canada issuing a snowfall warning with accumulation of 10 to 15 centimeters tonight through Tuesday morning.
Environment Canada said a frontal system will move over Southeastern British Columbia tonight and spread snow over the Kootenay district.
Rain showers will begin early this evening and will change to snow this evening as the freezing level drops to valley bottom.
Ten centimeters of snow is forecast for West Kootenay region and 10 to 15 cm are forecast for Kootenay Lake and East Kootenay south before the snow tapers to a few flurries Tuesday morning.