POLICE BEAT: Thief caught and sent packing to Trail

Erin Perkins
By Erin Perkins
January 24th, 2012

A 26-year-old man from Trail was caught by Grand Forks RCMP after a rash of petty break-ins and thefts had Riverside residents feeling uneasy.

Zachery Shobolm arrived in Grand Forks around Thursday, Jan. 12 according to Grand Forks RCMP. By Sunday, Jan. 15 he had allegedly commited his first crime and by Friday, Jan. 20 Grand Forks RCMP had him in custody and sent him back to Trail RCMP.

Shobolm had been recently living on 82 Avenue in Grand Forks, said Grand Forks RCMP Staff Sergeant Jim Harrison.

The five day crime spree began on Sunday, Jan. 15 when a purse was reportedly stolen from St. John’s United Church located on Central Ave. in Grand Forks.

“The suspect walked into an office during the service and stole a purse,” said Harrison.

The following day, Monday, Jan. 16, at 10:42 a.m. there was a report of a wallet with $200 cash being stolen from a home on 82 Ave.

On Tuesday, Jan. 17 the suspect allegedly got really busy with four seperate incidents in the Riverside area. The day began at 6:48 a.m. when sunglasses and loose change were reported stolen from a vehicle parked on Riverside Drive.

Then at 8:57 a.m. there was an attempted break and enter made on a garage on 80 Ave. The suspect bent back a screen but no entry was made, said Harrison.

That afternoon at 1 p.m. there was a report of someone having cut the screen on a travel trailer parked in the Riverside Drive area but no entry was gained.

That same afternoon at 3:30 p.m. there was another attempted break and enter to a garage in the same area. It was unknown if anything was taken but things had been tossed around, said Harrison.

Besides the incidents, Harrison said there were numerous reports coming from residents of a suspicious person hanging around the area over last week.

By Thursday, Jan. 19 Grand Forks RCMP caught up to the suspect shortly after midnight, said Harrison.

“We found him in possession of stolen property,” said Harrison. ” We found identification and credit cards from the purse stolen at the United Church.”

Shobolm was charged with theft and possession of stolen property. He was sent to Trail RCMP because he was also wanted in connection with an attempted robbery at Frosty’s Beer and Wine store on Wednesday, Jan. 11. The clerk wouldn’t give the suspect any money and he turned and fled. He appeared in court in Castlegar on Friday Jan. 20.

“We removed him from our community and there is once again peace in the Riverside community,” said Harrison.

The case is still under investigation.


Categories: CrimeGeneralIssues