H1N1 flu clinic update
Ed.: This is a press release from the Interior Health Authority
The clinics listed below will provide H1N1 vaccination to those at highest risk of serious complications (see below) from H1N1 flu virus, as well as the seasonal flu shot to those 65 years and older and those at risk of health complications from the flu.
Note: The eligibility criteria has expanded to include all Healthcare Workers, First Responders, children and teens 5 – 18 years inclusive, and Seniors with chronic health conditions.
Communities with clinics the week of November 16th:
- Castlegar Monday November 16th
- Kaslo Tuesday November 17th
- Midway Friday November 20th
- Nelson Wednesday November 18th
- Trail Thursday November 19th
In keeping with Provincial recommendations, only the following priority groups will receive their H1N1 vaccinations at this clinic:
• Pregnant women in the second half of pregnancy*(see note below);
• Children and teens 6 months – 18 years old, inclusive;
• Persons with chronic conditions, 6 months and older;
• Persons residing in remote communities; including all Aboriginal populations;
• Household contacts and care providers of infants from birth to 6 months of age when the contact/care provider is less than 65 years;
• Household contacts and care providers of persons who are immuno-compromised when BOTH the immuno-compromised person AND the household contact/care provider are less than 65 years;
• Healthcare workers;
• First Responders.
A limited supply of unadjuvanted H1N1 vaccine began arriving in Interior Health the week of Nov 9th. Pregnant women are encouraged to contact their health care provider to discuss and/or receive the vaccine, as this vaccine stock is being routed to physicians providing prenatal and obstetrical care. The unadjuvanted vaccine will not be provided through public clinics at this time.
*Note: People that are bringing children that are not their own to clinics need to have a signed letter of consent from the parent plus the child’s Care Card and the child’s birthday.
To Find the Clinic Nearest You:
Details about times, dates and locations of the clinic nearest you the following week – where you can get both the H1N1 vaccine and a seasonal flu shot – will be posted by end of day Wednesday at:
• Flu Clinic Locator at www.interiorhealth.ca or www.immunizebc.ca
• HealthLink BC, dial 8-1-1, available 24 hours a day
• Your local Public Health Centre.
For the week of November 16th, people in the above risk categories, living in communities where there will not be a mass clinic nearby, should be directed to check with their family physician or walk-in clinics to see if they have vaccine available.