On the advice of the BC Wildfire Service, emergency officials at the Regional District of Kootenay Boundary (RDKB) have rescinded evacuation orders for 91 properties in the Sidley and Bridesville areas of Electoral Area E/West Boundary and placed those properties on evacuation alert.
This change leaves 157 properties on evacuation order and 283 properties on evacuation alert due to the Nk’Mip Creek Wildfire.
The properties being downgraded to alert are on the north side of Highway 3 between the westerly boundary of RDKB (250 metres west of Sidley Mountain Road) to Mt. Baldy Road at the Canyon Bridge and north to McKinney Creek.
Work to control the Nk’Mip Creek Wildfire continues. If fire behaviour changes and the threat to people and property increases, evacuation orders and alerts could once again be reinstated or expanded.
A full list of addresses included in this evacuation order rescission along with maps are available on the RDKB emergency website at emergency.rdkb.com.
The RDKB encourages all residents to register for emergency and evacuation notifications at https://ca.voyent-alert.com/vras/user-registration.html
or through emergency.rdkb.com. Registrants can choose to be notified by telephone landline, cell phone, text, or email.
Anyone on evacuation alert should prepare for the possibility of an evacuation
order by doing the following:
- Locate those people in your household or family group and designate a meeting place outside the evacuation alert area should an evacuation order be issued while you are separated from one another.
- Arrange accommodations with family or friends outside the area.
- Gather essential items: The 5 P’s (People, Pets, Prescriptions, Papers and Photos).
- Prepare to move any disabled persons and /or children.
- Move pets and livestock to a safe area outside the area.
- Monitor news sources for additional information.
- If an order is issued, residents must leave their homes immediately.
For more information:
- 24-hour Provincial Emergency Coordination Centre: 1.800.663.3456
- The RDKB emergency website: emergency.rdkb.com
- RDKB Emergency Operations Centre: 1.888.747.9119 (between 8am and 4pm)
- Social media: Twitter @RDKB_Emergency or Facebook @rdkbdotcom
- Local media
The RDKB will continue to update the public as new information is available.