Back to top

Update: names released but two men still unresponsive from crash near Nakusp

Police are unable to interview either man involved in a single-vehicle collision Saturday morning near Nakusp, say police.

Const. Mark Macaulay of the Nakusp RCMP said the two men — including a 37-year-old man from Trail — remain in serious condition at Vancouver General Hospital. 

“(We) are unable to interview either individual at this time due to the seriousness of their injuries,” he said.

The individual believed to be driving is Daryl Travis Thomson, age 25, of Revelstoke, while the passenger is Philip George Walker, 37, of Trail.

The investigation into this collision is continuing but alcohol is still believed to be a factor, said Const. Macaulay. It is also suspected that the driver was not wearing a seat belt. 

From Monday

Two men who were stopped earlier Saturday for suspected impaired driving north of Nakusp are now fighting for their lives in critical condition in Vancouver General Hospital.

A 38-year-old man from Trail and a 25-year-old Revelstoke man — the suspected driver of the vehicle — were involved in the single vehicle collision four kilometres north of Nakusp.

RCMP investigators believed that alcohol was a factor in the collision and the driver may not have been wearing a seatbelt. A grey Ford F350 pickup truck containing the two men was found in the ditch around 5:30 a.m. on Saturday by a passerby.

“When he took a closer look at the vehicle, he found two males at the vehicle,” said Const. Mark Macaulay of the Nakusp Detachment. “Both appeared to be suffering from serious injuries.”

The suspected driver in the collision, the 25-year-old male, was stopped approximately seven hours earlier by RCMP at which time he was investigated for impaired driving. 

As a result of this investigation, the man was issued a 90-day Immediate Roadside Prohibition and the vehicle which he was operating was towed and impounded for 30 days. 

“The driver later obtained a different vehicle than the impounded vehicle when the collision occurred,” said Const. Macaulay.

RCMP attended the scene along with personnel from the British Columbia Ambulance Service and the Nakusp Volunteer Fire Department. The two men involved in the collision were immediately rushed to the Arrow Lakes Hospital. 

Due to the seriousness of their condition, they were in turn transported by Air Ambulance to Vancouver General Hospital where they remain in critical condition. 

The names of the two men are not being released at this time until next of kin have been notified. The man from Revelstoke had been working in the Nakusp area while the second subject from Trail was visiting the area.

The investigation into this crash is continuing, including an examination by the RCMP collision analyst, and criminal charges are pending against the driver.

RCMP are still seeking the public's assistance. If anyone witnessed the collision or has information regarding this incident, please contact Const. Macaulay at the Nakusp RCMP Detachment at (250) 265-3677.