by Contributor on Tuesday Jan 05 2010
At the Haywood NorAm races in Quebec this weekend, three BC racers ended up in the top ten. Rossland's Rebecca Reid, 17, won the junior girls 10 km (2 x 5 km) pursuit trials with a strong skate leg, pulling away from a group of 5 skiers after the transition to take the first race of the World Junior Trials at the Miriam Bedard Ski Centre in Quebec City.
Top 5 Junior Women:
1. Rebecca Reid, Blackjack Ski Club
2. Heather Mehain, Sovereign Lake Nordic
3. Marlis Kromm, Foothills Nordic
4. Dahria Beatty, Whitehorse
5. Corey Stock, Cambridge Sports Union
In the junior males, Steffan Lloyd of Nakkertok lead almost from the beginning to outdistance the field with a time of 57:27.0. Andy Shields picked up 40 second over the final 10 km portion of the pursuit to end up in second spot while Patrick Stewart-Jones of Nakkertok took third.
Top 5 Junior Males:
1. Steffan Lloyd, Nakkertok Ski Club
2. Andy Shields, Waterloo Nordic
3. Patrick Stewart-Jones, Nakkertok Ski Club
4. Joey Burton, Overlander Ski Club
5. Etienne Richard, Skibec Nordique
Meanwhile, in Europe, George Grey had a good day in Oberhof Germany at the World Cup races there. Grey finished 17th in the 3.75 kilometre skate race, .2 seconds ahead of Alex Harvey who finished in 18th position, appoximately 13 seconds from first.
Devon Kershaw finished 37th - just 4 seconds later, and Ivan Babikov was 50th. There were 88 starters.
Complete Men's Results: