Traction on Demand in Nelson is partnering with Kootenay Mountain Biking and Cycling BC iRide to offer a summer camp like no other — Bikes’n Bytes.
The camp, which runs from August 16-20, 2021, is the best of both worlds for youth between the age of 9-12 in Nelson and area.
“By 2030, the demand for advanced IT and programming skills is expected to grow by 90%,” a spokesperson for the camp said.
“Developing digital skills in youth is essential to prepare them to enter the workforce of the future.”
Campers will learn how to create their own website, program a robot, and edit a movie they filmed during their KMB bike sessions.
Each day includes three hours of coding projects along with three hours of cycling.
There are eight spots in each of the groups — Intermediate Rippers and Advanced Rippers.
To register, choose a biking skill level that matches your child’s abilities.
Intermediate Rippers (Age 9-12 and KMB Level 2-3)
- Comfortable on all blue technical trails and can ride all green trails, maintaining momentum while riding through rock and root sections.
- They are starting to increase their speed with good brake control
- They can confidently ride raised (ladder) bridges and small rock faces
Advanced Rippers (Age 9-12 and KMB Level 3 ONLY)
- Strong on all blues and easy blacks and can ride all or most of the features.
- They can ride at a moderate but safe speed and carry momentum
- They are ready to ride steep roll downs, raised ladder bridges, and more technical trails.
- Can perform a rear-wheel lift, bunny hops, a track stand, and small jumps and drops with the correct technique.
REGISTER HERE ($285 camp fee) – select from “Camps” dropdown menu.
The registration process includes the purchase of a $17.50 Cycling BC Mini-Membership, providing families access to up to $400 a year in financial aid from KidSport.
Alternative funding support is available via Traction on Demand, please contact iRide@cyclingbc.net to explore.
To prepare, please bring the following:
- Water, lunch, and snacks,
- Gloves, All-weather clothing
- Helmets (CSA approved)
- Mountain bike with gears and hand brakes
- Conduct a bike safety check (try one of iRide’s registered bike shops)