Gas leak on Vernon Street forces evacuation of several Nelson businesses
Emergency personal were kept busy Thursday morning in Nelson when a gas line ruptured forcing evacuation of several business surrounding the intersection of Hall and Vernon Streets.
The call came into Nelson Fire Department shortly after 10 a.m. that crews working on the Stores to Shores project ruptured a connection on a Fortis Gas line outside Finlay’s Bar and Grill.
Nelson Fire Department personal were immediately dispatched.
Upon arrival, firefighters quickly evacuated local businesses inside the danger area before setting up a perimeter to keep the public at a safe distance.
Contractors working on the Nelson Commons project also had stopped as fumes flowed into the lower sections of the development located at the corner of Vernon and Hendryx Streets.
Local contractors working on the Stores to Shores project for the City of Nelson had already moved workers at safe distance away from the gas rupture.
Fortis BC crews were dispatched to deal with the leak.
Approximately two hours later, at around 12:30 p.m., Fortis BC crews capped the leak allowing surrounding businesses to re-open for the afternoon.
Fortis BC crews spent most of the afternoon on scene fixing the ruptured line.
There were no reports of any injuries during the gas leak.