Back to top

Regional News

By Mona Mattei on Wednesday Dec 02 2009

Long time Grand Forks resident Gary Gilbert and his partner Tani Schwartz are reaching out for help. Help to save Tani’s daughter Rose in her continuing struggle with a little known condition called gastroparesis.

By Contributor on Wednesday Dec 02 2009

The fourth of a series of peaceful sit-ins targeting elected officials, tar sands financiers, and the coal and tar sands industries began at Canadian Minister for Sport Gary Lunn’s Sidney constituency office (9843 Second Street) today. 10 people entered the office just after 10:00 AM this morning. They are calling for the Harper government and all parties to immediately commit to world-leading cuts to greenhouse gas emissions.

By Kyra Hoggan on Sunday Nov 29 2009

The following is a press release issued by NDP MLA Katrine Conroy:

Over a thousand signatures from people in the West Kootenays opposing the B.C. Liberals’ HST were introduced in the legislature by Kootenay West MLA Katrine Conroy.

“The people of the Kootenays were lied to by the B.C. Liberals about the HST, and if it is brought in they will have to pay more for everything in their day to day life. The HST is a $1.9 billion tax shift on to consumers,” said Conroy who submitted the petitions last week.

By Mona Mattei on Thursday Nov 26 2009

OmniTrax sent a glimmer of hope to stakeholders in the Boundary region this week when they announced that they will work with the different parties to try to keep the railway from Grand Forks to Kettle Falls, WA  running. A meeting last week between the businesses reliant on the railway and the owner of the line, OmniTrax, in Colville, WA was successful in an agreement to explore the continued operation of the line. 

By Mona Mattei on Wednesday Nov 18 2009

Two very interesting conversations happened at the Grand Forks city council meeting on Monday on air quality issues that have grave impact on our community.

By Mona Mattei on Thursday Nov 12 2009

“Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street?” Who doesn’t remember this song from your childhood, at least those of us who grew up with television? Our parents surely will since they listened to hours of the program while we were glued to the TV.
Sesame Street is celebrating their 40th anniversary this month having aired over 4,200 episodes since 1969. In honour of three generations of children’s programming, a street in New York was temporarily named for the show this month.

By Nik Green on Tuesday Nov 10 2009

Defense attorney for Kimberly Ruth Noyes claims lack of full disclosure of evidence by the Crown has resulted in further delays in Noyes' arraignment. The hearing for the murder of 12-year-old John Fulton was held in the Grand Forks courthouse Monday, Nov. 9 although the accused was not present. Defense attorney Deanne Gaffar represented Noyes by telephone conference, while prosecutor Phillip Seagram was on hand for the Crown.

By Kyra Hoggan on Thursday Nov 05 2009

Photo: Artist's rendering of the proposed Waneta Expansion project, courtesy Columbia Power Corporation.

The Waneta Expansion project will not be moving forward according to existing plans, according to a press release issued today by the Columbia Basin Trust (CBT) and the Columbia Power Corporation (CPC).

Audrey Repin, CPC director of communications, said CPC approaches projects in three stages: design, evaluation and construction.

By Boundary Sentinel on Monday Nov 02 2009

The Grand Forks community was devasted in August when 12-year-old John Fulton was found dead in his neighbour's home. Shortly afterward police arrested Kimberly Noyes for his murder. On Oct. 31, police issued a request for possible witnesses to come forward.

The RCMP Southeast District Serious Crimes Unit, who is continuing their investigation into the murder of Fulton, announced that they are currently attempting to identify any and all witnesses that may have been at the Gables housing complex in Grand Forks between Saturday, Aug. 15th and Monday, Aug. 17, 2009.

By Kyra Hoggan on Monday Nov 02 2009

Photo: artist's rendering of the proposed new gaming centre, courtesy the City of Castlegar.

Castlegar mayor Lawrence Chernoff said today that the $7.9-million gaming centre slated for Castlegar is still very much on the books, with Terrim Properties' Terry Segarty spearheading the development.


“He's still a part of the project – he's just bringing in a partner,” said Chernoff, adding that a meeting last week between Segarty, the mayor and senior city staff helped clarify the project's future direction.

Pages