Recent comments

• City council says no to free Wi-Fi coverage in public places   1 week 23 hours ago

Why must people always be connected to cell phones and internet? Take a look at the beauty and interesting things around you, unplug and enjoy!

• Letter: Nelson's off leash dog park no longer safe to visit   1 week 23 hours ago

I had a similar incident happen to my border collie several years ago, she was attacked whilst on leash by an off leash dog. $550 for the vet and a traumatised dog. The owner refused to take responsibility telling me my dog was agressive. Daisy was sitting beside me on leash when attacked, aggressive? There are breeds of dogs that should not be household pets. Pitbulls are one of them.

• Salmo officer charged with theft   1 week 1 day ago

RCMP needs to screen out these incompetents

• City council says no to free Wi-Fi coverage in public places   1 week 1 day ago

I resent city councilors deciding what should or should not be my choice of recreation! Back off! When a valuable gift is offered please accept graciously and leave individuals to decide for themselves what they will do with it!

• Letter: Nelson's off leash dog park no longer safe to visit   1 week 1 day ago

Brian take action against the owner of the other dog

• Excessive concerns over fracking-related seismic activity, water contamination not supported by research   3 weeks 2 days ago

The Fraser Institute is a right wing propaganda machine that is financed by  US oil billionaires and climate change deniers, the Koch brothers.

Do not expect them to let science get in the way of them promoting uncontrolled resource extraction for personal greed at the expense of the enviroment and 99.9% of humans.

The Fraser Institute also believes that all commons should be privatized.

That means Schools and hospitals owned by" for profit businesses".

The Fraser Insitute loved Harper! Hopefully we are smart enough to see through their BS.

• NPD Constable handed Conditional Sentence Order after assault conviction   3 weeks 4 days ago

If you or I had assaulted this woman we'd be doing time.
    Police officers are supposed to be held to a higher standard, not a lesser one.
    This conviction should be appealed, and there is no way this officer should be allowed to work for the police.

• Excessive concerns over fracking-related seismic activity, water contamination not supported by research   3 weeks 4 days ago

There are reasons to distrust the Fraser Insitute findings, based on EPA "research", as detailed in this article.

Pro-industry "think tanks" like the Fraser Institute place a low value on human health and biodiversity  when  "economic" activity  will cause incremental damage to health and biodiversity.  "The damage is small compared with the economic benefits," they say.  Our problem is that the "small" amounts of damage gradually accumulate -- add up -- until the total amount of damage is large, and it's too late to repair it.  How do we "fix" aquifers contaminated with toxins?   What's the economic downside of a baby born with a limited intellect because of pre-natal, low-level mercury exposure?  Hard to calculate?  Yes.  How about a whole generation of  children born with health issues from exposure to mercury, cadmium, dioxins, and other contaminants?   And how about the effects on other living things?   Calculating the hard costs may be speculative, and therefore dismissed by the Fraser Institute and its funders, but I suggest that those costs are real.

• Election turns Tory tide to true Grit: Liberals sweep nation but spare Kootenay Columbia   5 weeks 19 hours ago

Here's to three years of Deficit spending and legal pot with the Liberal party!

39% Liberal vote wins over 32% Conservative vote, but still gives the Liberals a majority.  Hopefully the Liberal's plan for legalization and regulation of pot will put the small licence medical marijuana grow-ops out of business (those who are supposed to be growing for personal use, but are actually selling illegally).

Hoping for the best with Trudeau but oh boy lets see where we are in 4 years.

• Alpine Safety Code   5 weeks 1 day ago

Thanks for your article Paul.You have garnered the most votes I've ever seen on any topic so that's great. The skier who hit you is totally at fault and liable for all your injuries.  I would highly recommend you take cannabis oil, the phoenix tears   type  as researched by Rick Simpson   and watch the youtube video "Run from the Cure"

• Alpine Safety Code   6 weeks 3 days ago

Is it because I dared to talk about what is currently not talked about "Prostate Cancer"?

Is it because I want to start a prostate cancer support group?

Is it because I dared to imply that totally freely you could make a donation towards prostate cancer?

Is it because I created a logical link between the last two most important events in my life?

Is it because I imply that my life expectations might be limited?

When I was diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer I immediately went to the Trail Library to get some information on Prostate Cancer: Not a single book on prostate cancer.

I have already founded two non profit societies in my community. What do you think would be the best way for me to increase awareness about prostate cancer without more people being annoyed by my tentative communications? (more thumbs down than thumbs up).

I just want to help. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions that would guide me ina more efficient direction.

Thanks for the feedback

Paul Picard

• The High Cost of Fire Services: Part One.   6 weeks 4 days ago

OK, John -- soon!   Thanks for the nudge.

• The High Cost of Fire Services: Part One.   6 weeks 5 days ago

Quote from previous article

"This is part one; part two will follow after I have met with Moore, McLellan, and Interim CAO Mike Maturo for more information. "

Anxiously awaiting your part 2 and suggest you also gain comment from the Rossland Fire chief.

I understand from your first report that L McLellan feels that part of the high cost is having firefighters dispatched for pretty much all emergencies. I'd like to know what specific questions he wants the 911 dispatcher to ask of a distressed individual calling at an accident scene that would ensure that firefighters are only called when "needed". I beleive that attempting to impose a filtering at the dispatch level has a low chance of success.

Please remember that there may be times when ambulance service respond times are much longer than local firefighters.Firefighters are trained in initial first aid measures and this may be the fastest FA response. Is there a way of checking ambulance vs firefighter response times?

Remember, ambulance svces are provincially funded, firefighter svces are locally funded. If ambulance svce response times have been increasing is this another example of downloading of costs provincially to municipal?

I have calculated that the cost of fire services is approximately $150/year for every person in Rossland. Seems pretty low for the peace of mind. I imagine my house insurance would jump if we replaced the RDKB svces with our own.

I have heard rumours that City council is considering getting out of RDKB fire services and going it alone. If true, my initial gut reaction is that this is a foolhardy approach to cost reduction and would like to see some facts supporting this approach. Perhaps Sara, you could provide some.

When will we see part 2?

John Stephens

• Alpine Safety Code   7 weeks 5 days ago

Yes what a string of events!!!

Just after facing and accepting the possibility of imminent death, spending a minus 12 night in the woods with wet clothing, I am bowled over on a splendid sunny day by the only other skier on that beginner slope. I was not aware at the moment that this was just the beginning of a string of events.

Because I had been rescued by helicopter by our excellent search and rescue team, I had to see my family doctor for a routine medical checkup. This included a blood test. Fortunately for me my doctor did put a checkmark for PSA test (prostate specific antigen… the best marker in the blood for potential problems with the prostate)

This did set up a process where I quickly learned that I had an incurable prostate cancer that had already heavily metastasised to most bones of my body. For those who know a little bit about this topic, my PSA was 560 (anything over 5 might indicate some problems) when I started my treatments and there were 30+ bone metastases. The reports never bothered to count them they just used the term “innumerable”.

I am doing fine. I am receiving various drugs that currently keep me alive with a good quality of life.

That ski accident when I was bowled over under ideal conditions made me very fearful about skiing again knowing that I had numerous little pack man eating up my bones.

Currently I am very thankful that there are some new drugs and treatments that extend my life with very good quality of life.

I am aware that I will probably have a limited number of November, I registered to the Movember movement where I will grow a mustache in November to raise some funds for men’s health.

More than the actual positive effects of each of those contributions, my main goal is to increase the awareness (which I definitely did not have) about how serious is the problem of Prostate Cancer. This is the deadliest cancer in men after lung cancer.

You can donate to my Movember page at :

I would also like to start a  prostate cancer support group for the Trail/Rossland area. I would invite all local people dealin with prostate cancer to contact me for a coffee. Since my number of years are definitely limited one of my goals would be to put in place some volunteers who could keep this going once I am not there.

Regards, Paul Picard

• Man guilty in manslaughter death of Crescent Valley woman out in 19 months   8 weeks 3 days ago

And how very little the Conservatives under Herr Harper have done to fix ANY of the problems Canadians face everyday. I thought they said this was an important issue when they came to power almost 10 years ago. What have they been doing?

And to think this is one of the areas the Cons are considered strong and efficient.  Must be some sort of joke. The Cons talk a lot but they accomplish nothing, even when in power for a long time. Just totally useless people.

Please, anybody but Harper and his jolly band of clowns.

• Man guilty in manslaughter death of Crescent Valley woman out in 19 months   9 weeks 5 days ago
    We can thank The Liberal Party of Canada For such low amounts of 'Time Served' For murder (or any ) convictions in Canada. I find this heartbreaking for victims & loved ones. I also believe that these sentences are Not Deterrents (which is the most important issue).
  • Salaries, pensions and benefits consume 72 per cent of increased spending on public schools in Canada   10 weeks 5 days ago

This said by a private think-tank funded by American corporations, who would love to have our educational system privatized so they can get their greedy little hands all over it.

• Gerrymandering: How a Minority of the Votes can Win ALL the Power   11 weeks 3 days ago

It doesn’t matter how you describe the Green party’s increase in popularity. We need to see a major change in governance. Electoral reform is one of many components in the Green’s vision for this country that I support.

ABC. The last thing I want see again for this country is a Harper majority government. He seems stuck in the past of British Empire days, basing his policies on a crazy neo-conservative philosophy of small government and trickle-down economics. Rather than making decisions based on independently-verified facts, he seems to go mainly by his personal irrational intuitions. The sooner he is out of government, the sooner we can resume building a Canada for the 21st century. Read about how Harper criticizes our welfare state in a speech Canada through Stephen Harper's Eyes Harper’s Eyes and how he will destroy public values for Canadians. Change Canada.

The Harper government’s behavioural patterns reveals two possibilities: it’s either a coincidence or the Harper government is seeing the movie 1984 as a user’s manual. Think of Harper when watching this piece of George Orwell’s last interview. Absolutely chilling.

Perhaps Harper was a big Orwell fan when he was younger

• Gerrymandering: How a Minority of the Votes can Win ALL the Power   11 weeks 4 days ago

What you're saying makes no sense. But even if you were right, you're still wrong.

The Green part is losing my respect because

a) they should understand that if the NDP or Liberals can win this election, we have a far greater chance of electoral reform nationally, and they should understand that they would get much more votes and more representation in the government if we went to a different voting system. If the conservatives win again, we won't have any change and the Green party will continue to have one or two seats in government that are insignificant and don't have any real impact on legislation that is being passed. For their own good, they should bow out of any close election and tell their faithful to vote for whoever has the best chance in their ridings to beat the Conservative candidate. That way, if there's reform, they can get a lot more votes and members in govmt. I would vote Green if we had proportional representation.

b) You must be sarcastic when you're talking about the Green party being a movement that's sweeping the country... they're lucky to get two candidates voted in across the country. What kind of sweep is that? If you're running for the Green party that really reflects bad on them, if you really think that conservatives either vote Conservative or Green and that Green votes split the conservative vote... no one would second that opinion.

c) You're right that Liberals and NDP also split votes - that's why I support campaigns asking those party members also find who has the best chance of beating a Conservative and throwing their support behind the other party. I believe that the Green, Liberal and NDP supporters - if they really care about Canada - would forget about party allegiances and vote ABC - and in our riding the NDP has the best chance of beating the Con..

• GOLDEN CITY DAYS COMING UP!   11 weeks 4 days ago

The 2015 Golden City Grind takes place Sunday, September 13! 10k, 5k and shorter and longer kids' races! Register at 9am, race at 10am at the Centennial trail head. Thanks to our sponsors: the Alpine Grind, Gerick Sports, Sweet Dreams Heritage Inn and Cakery, Mountain Nugget Chocolate Company, Ferraro Foods, and Bear Country Kitchen! Proceeds to skier development at Black Jack Cross Country Ski Club.

NEW THIS YEAR! New 10k route, and a new kids' run! ALSO, pick up your registration form early from the Alpine Grind or Gerick Sports in Trail and fill it out ahead of time to avoid the rush before the race!

Contact Shelley Ackerman for info: sackerman(at)

• Gerrymandering: How a Minority of the Votes can Win ALL the Power   11 weeks 5 days ago

A strong Green Party vote will not split the NDP vote.  A strong Green Party vote will split the conservative vote; conservatives will vote Green.  It is a strong Liberal vote that will cause the conservatives to win.  Just look at the voting record when Jim Gouk won, strong Liberal turnout, conservative victory.  Weak Liberal turnout NDP victory.

Vote Green for change.  It is not a political party but rather a movement sweeping the nation and Globe.

Stephen Hill

Catlegar, BC

I agree with you; the system must be changed.  That is why i have decided to submit my nomination papers for the Green Party today.

Stephen Hill

You're exactly right about needing to change our system of electing our representatives and how our political system is set up, but..... You're just so dead wrong about voting Green. You're exactly right that you'll be splitting the vote and helping to get a conservative voted in to represent our riding. The conservatives are not at all interested in changing the first past the post. The NDP are, the liberals say they probably are too. You need to help us get the conservatives out first, then change the voting system, then you can start to vote green, red, blue, yellow, orange, pink whatever - I don't care at all, but you'll never have a vote that matters if the conservatives keep winning, because they'll never want to change the system.

One more election is hopefully the last time you'll have to vote to keep someone else from winning rather than for who you want to win. But you have to be smart and help us get to where we want and where we need to go to change our voting system. Now is not the time for what you're thinking of doing... we have a chance here, a real chance.

• PLEASE -- BEAR WITH US   11 weeks 5 days ago have such a sensible (and sensitive) mayor. This proactive approach to dealing with bears is the smartest  I have seen come out of Rossland council in the four decades I have lived here.  Exactly the right response to this summer's slaughter, initiated or carried out by those who do not realize that it is no longer considered civilized behavior to murder an area's native inhavitants.

• Gerrymandering: How a Minority of the Votes can Win ALL the Power   11 weeks 6 days ago

Harper is on record saying that we won't recognize Canada when he is done making changes. I believe him. How can the Harper Government have the mentality to simply ignore the constitutional laws of Canada and pass unconstitutional legislation? Yet rarely can anyone afford challenge their decisions in the Supreme Court, which happens to be the public’s only hope against our elected government’s private agenda.

Although I have been an NDP supporter for many years, I have decided to switch to the Green Party. They are the only party to mention thorough fiscal reform and even suggest revisiting the role of the Bank of Canada. I was attracted to the Greens in the last federal election and felt that they were on the right track, but felt forced to vote NDP for fear of splitting the vote. It is sad to see increased voting for a party not liked, to defeat a party they hate, while abandoning the party that supports their beliefs. When looking at the plummeting voter turnouts, it’s time to fix an electoral system that produces governments that doesn’t reflect the diversity of our country. No more first-past-the-post. No more false majorities. The recent electoral redistribution of adding 30 seats with the newly drawn electoral districts used the standard population formula. Although, I wouldn’t doubt the gerrymandering formula has some royal blue figures. The power of money, aka political economics, is democracy’s death by a thousand cuts.

I have to agree with the quote ‘Yes, there are government trolls on social media, blogs, forums and websites’. Snowden Leak: But isn’t he linked to terrorism? Treating a person, their privacy and their home and neighbors with respect is more effective than the controversial Conservative C-51 anti-terrorism law could ever be.

Gotta go now, I just got weird email and text messages and my land line is ringing…