Recent comments

• CONTEST: Sponsored by Canadoodle Australian Labradoodles   1 year 10 weeks ago

Sounds de"light"ful, Would be a great decoration.

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

I know of no incident in the the Canadian English media in modern times where any letter to the editor writer was ever subjected to any sort of violent retaliation for a published letter.
    I know of many who have written letters and had to endure written responses, but that's the nature of making controversial statements. If you can handle feedback, you probably shouldn't turn your amplifier up!
    If a person has grounds to fear, based on some past incident or acton, fine, but having fear because you suspect your opinion will be unpopular is not grounds, its paranoia.
    Clearly, the author knew their comments were inflammatory, and suspected there would be a backlash. The author was quite willing to subject teachers to verbal abuse but wasn't prepared to accept the same right back.
    In other words, the author can dish it out but can't take it.
    Since when is it an editors job to protect such a person.

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

I don't think the NN should have printed or posted the letter without a name.
    I think the withholding of the name was cowardly. Why did you not also protect the teachers? They are people too.
    How can you possibly justify protecting someone who slanders the entire teaching community?
    Your decision makes no sense.
    If the person who wrote the letter had any courage at all they would have attached their name to it. Without the name, its just anonymous gutter sniping.
    The letter itself contained very few facts, and was basically an anoymous partisan attack on an entire segment of our community.
    In the end Kyra, its you who have damaged your own reputation. You've protected this friend of your for some unknown reason. I suspect its because you actually agree with the person. Why else would you allow a letter that has no substance to it, but plenty of innuendo, to be published?
    I would suggest you do as most papers do, and refuse to publish any letter anonymously.
    If a person isn't willing to put their name on their opinion, then their opinion isn't worth publishing.

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

I actually like the idea of teachers paying for the education of children. In fact, I would want to adopt that idea as a general economic principle.

Doctors pay for my health care.

Pilots pay for my air fare.

Farmers pay for my food.

Oil companies pay for my gas.

Banks pay for my mortgage,

Artists pay for my entertainment.

And, saving best for last, Prime Ministers and Premiers pay for my taxes.

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

To the anonymous author of this unsigned letter...

• When you assert that a worker who feels they deserve a raise should just 'move' you are being silly. Is your philosophy really that employees should either accept whatever their employer is willing to offer them or jump ship, uproot their families and disrupt their communities? Would this include, for example, Celgar or Teck workers? If so, that's pretty radical! Beyond even what the federal Conservatives or BC 'Liberals' would endorse (at least publicly). Is your real first name 'Ayn' and your last name 'Rand', perchance? However, I suppose it's your right to epouse views that undermine the traditional values of our nation. I imagine you're one of those (undercover) radicals who would privatize health care, prisons, etc. Because our Great Father In The Sky, 'the market', knows best.

• When you write 'We all know' that the strikes are about self-interest' you are being inaccurate. I was one of 'all of us' last time I checked, and I don't 'know' this and neither do most people I know. So 'all' is out the window.

• There's nothing paradoxical about wanting a raise AND caring about class sizes and composition at the same time. You've offered up a false dilemma here, either through error or rhetorical dishonesty. The public school teachers I know (and I know quite a few) are exclusively talking about the latter issues this time around, for what that observation is worth. They feel their jobs are becoming more and more untenable and their students' lives harder due to serious underfunding. That said, I suppose your 'supply/demand' paradigm applies here and students who don't like overcrowded, undersupported classrooms should just 'move' as well. Speak with your feet little ones! Mystery Author...is your last name 'Thatcher' and your first name 'Margaret'? Ms. Thatcher was the great proponent of the idea that 'there is no such thing as society'--that, beyond families, people exist only in naked  economic relation to one another. It's a creepy philosophy and very un-Canadian.

• Repulsive 'greed' at 'the expense of our kids'? How is this true? Should teachers subsidize our children's educations? Here's an idea! Why don't you do  it instead? Perhaps consider going to your employer and offering to take a wage cut, with the difference going to SD 20. If you do that, I'll salute you when I pass you in the street--or would if I knew who you were. But until you're willing to do that yourself, perhaps lay off the teachers. They have no more reason to pay extra than you do. Taxation is how we typically fund things like health care and education in this country.

• When you write that teachers' jobs are over protected, you make me sad...because I sort of agree with you on this one. I know of a number of teachers who deserve to be fired immediately and shamed publicly. But this issue has nothing to do with the current job action. Sigh. Your only strong point and it was totally off-topic...

• You fear 'reprisals' from teachers? We 'all' do? Seriously? What kind of teachers do you know? Ones on steroids wearing black leather chaps and riding Harleys? The ones I know are...nice, ordinary people. Kind of meek, if I'm to be honest. Still, I'm sorry you're scared. Of teachers.

• Even kindergarten teachers? What form do their ‘reprisals’ take? Extended quiet times?

• What's all this about the last provincial election? Was it about teachers and their greed? I guess I forgot that bit!

• You 'love' teachers??? Oh dear...I guess this is what they call 'tough love'. I'd hate to see what someone who despised teachers and sought to assault their integrity in public while hiding their own identity would write!

• In your final paragraph, you repeat your strange assertion that teachers should pay for their students' educations. Why not bus drivers or loggers or those ever-mobile nurses? Or anonymous letter writers? Or better yet...all of us. Through taxes. How’s that for a radical idea?

• COMMENT: Local infrastructure projects run amok (with a nod to the Mountain Kingdom))   1 year 10 weeks ago

Is the recipe of “one official who takes ownership” not a cloud blocking the value of the sunlight in your recipe? Were the projects criticised by the Auditor General for Local Government not precisely of the kind managed by “I-am-in-charge” individuals?

Nietzsche held that “the errors of great men are venerable because they are more fruitful that the truths of little men.” Sunshine is of limited value when Nietzsche’s little men have no say, are denied participation, and are thus left with no sense of engagement in and responsibility for decisions.

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

Back off a bit on the whole name thing. There's more productive and much more important things to be all irate about than whether or not the author's name of a letter is published or not. There's something powerful about being able to anonymously post your opinions and thoughts, that's why voting is always private, and a lot of meetings now-days are moving to a more private environment so that it's not only the bold and the confident who get their opinions heard, but also the more shy and meek. No need to be attacking the people who made this decision, they obviously did it after thinking about it and weighing the options and came up with what they thought was the best decision. There's nothing sinister about the process and nothing evil. So direct your energy to something more important, like the topic at hand in the article.

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

Will, this was NOT the Nelson Daily. We will discuss ways to make that more clear (the paper of origin).

My name is Kyra Hoggan, I am the editor of the Castlegar Source and the Trail Champion, and the decision was mine, and mine alone.

Please direct any distress to me, not my affiliates, and I apologize for the lack of clarity around who posted this.

I am horrified that the backlash for my decision is impacting my very hard-working and worthy fellow editors.

We will strive to find a way to better identify ourselves in the future.

Thank you for bringing this very serious issue to our attention, and I personally am deeply sorry for the confusion this has created.

Regards,

Kyra Hoggan

Editor

The Castlegar Source/Trail Champion

• Stephen Harper’s ‘Strategic’ Path to Ruin   1 year 10 weeks ago

I don't normally respond publically about political commentary but in this instance, I'm going to. Mr Dobbin has, in the past, had blogs that were entertaining, relevant, humourous, and even plausible. This blog, dated May 21, 2014, has all these qualities plus added value.

The added value is in the point by point, methodical, chronicling of our Prime Minister's systematic disassembly of his powerful coalition's main message to the voting public. This message has been that the ' Conservative Government of Stephen Harper ' is in control and has the best interest of Canadians first and foremost. The Prime Minister, by his actions and speech, seems to be trying to prove his government's slogans and rhetoric to be mere window dressing, hiding the nasty bits behind the curtains.

One item mentioned, but barely touched upon by Mr. Dobbin, is the absolute gutting of the ' Navigable Waters Act '. The changes to this act alone have opened up for development most fresh water resources in Canada by industry, with little or no recourse for the citizens to protest or impede developments.

This action by the government, along with the numerous other changes in legislation, have had and will continue to have extremely negative effects on the lives of all of us.

I can only hope, for the sake of our country, that the electorate will realize, in enough time to change the government, that the present course of our Federal government is sheer folly.

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

Kyra, allow me to quote from your article on defending our teachers:

"Perhaps a better education would leave them with a stronger understanding of the word 'hypocrisy'."

Perhaps a better education would enable citizens to freely exchange views without fear. Actualy, there is no "perhaps" about it, it is as sure a thing as things can be sure.

And that's my last word on the subject. Promise.

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

A good point. I'll discuss it with our tech guy...or David, as we like to call him.

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

Andre, you're awfully smart, and I appreciate you having brought this up. I am not dissembling. Describing jeopardy promotes identifying the people experiencing said jeopardy, and thus promotes the very jeopardy we wish to avoid.

I have to walk an often very very awkward line, and perhaps I get it wrong more often than I realize.

That being said, I can only do the best I can, with the best of my knowledge.

There is no ill-intent, and to focus on this is, to me, a disservice to our education system, which was the original point.

Regards,

Kyra

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

Kyra, the real problem here, as I see it, is that  you found yourself confronted by a case of jeopardy.

You had a choice to make, and you not only made it, but you are taking responsibility for the decision you made.

You do not owe (at least not to me) and explanation or justification for the decision you made, You decided to explain, that too is your decision.

This exchange brought another issue to light which merits examination. What could possibly jeopardize a person for stating that teachers are (fill in the blanks, as long as you keep four-letter words to a minimum)?

What is the nature of that jeopardy you recognized? Is it something along the lines of what led to the firing of a university prof in Saskatchewan, with the consequence of his re-hiring and the further consequence of the university pres being fired?

What if an editor had hidden that prof's identity under a burqa when publishing his comments? the prof would not have been fired because he could not have been identified. However, the university pres who has since been fired over the incident would still be on the job today. In the end, is it not a good thing the prof's name was out there for all to see?

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

Hi Adrian - please note that readers can't tell which news site this letter originates from, or which editor chose to run it. When I read it, it looks like it originated in the Telegraph. I see that another reader thinks it originated in the Nelson Daily. Perhaps there can be something in the design of the site that will make this clearer? Or even if the editor's comment at the end was signed - Kyra Hoggan, Castlegar Source, or something to that effect?

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

The person who allowed this smear to be printed then hid the name of its author should be sued by the Teachers for slander.

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

Shame on you for hiding the name of the author of this smear.
    By doing so, you are not only protecting the author of the smear, but you're an accessory to helping a smear artist not have to take responsibility.
    You're making this smear you own.

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

Feel free to delete same, Adrian.

Having said that, a reader presented me with a case of jeopardy in the face of (their) opinions, and my educated judgement call was to concur.

I think my reputation stands for itself - I have some background in this.

If you feel it does not, please either delete the story or bring suit.

I stand by my decision, and I believe I was protecting you in making it.

Regards,

Kyra Hoggan

Editor

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

I think its totally cowardly to hold back your name when you go out and purposefully slander teachers.
    Teachers are among the hardest working people in our society. We entrust them with our children's lives and minds.
    For over 10 years they have been assaulted, slandered, smeared and had their incomes stifled.
    Now the Nelson Daily allows some anonymous person to smear them some more, and even protects that person by hiding their name.
    Disgraceful.
    I'm very disappointed in the Nelson News editors for doing this.
    As for the author of this smear, shame on you. Have the courage of your convictions and put your name to your slander.

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

I think Andre was making the opposite point here, Kyra. He was arguing that we each need to be brave enough to stand behind our stated opinions if we're to take part in an open society.. Exceptions can be granted only when there is a danger of serious (illegal) repercussions to the author of a piece.

I think many readers are having a hard time understanding why making the almost-cliched 'teachers are out for themselves' argument in public is in any way risky? I've been hearing that one since I was a kid! It's hardly dangerous terrain.

As Telegraph editor I'm uncertain how I feel about this unsigned piece running in our paper, especially when I recently went after Rossland City Hall for issuing an unsigned press release that was pretty rhetorical in nature. At the same time, I see value in letting this conversation play out.

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

Yes, Shelley, the author requested redaction.

I assessed his request based on my best knowledge, and stand by the decision I made.

You're both inconveniently honest, and a remarkable asset.

Thanks for asking the question.

Regards,

Kyra

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

Hi Shelley. Thanks for the support! I'll just note that this decision was Kyra's and she and I have been discussing our stances via email this morning. I'll be putting in my two cents' worth later today. In the meantime, it's worth noting that each Lone Sheep paper is independently owned by its editor and is editorially-independent. I respect Kyra's work greatly, though I may not always agree with her decisions. More to follow. A good discussion like this is always healthy.

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

But Kyra, did the writer ask you to leave his/her name off the letter? If not, was it really your place to make that call when the writer had no problem submitting the letter in the first place? Interesting journalism conundrum that's worthy of debate! Respectfully, Shelley

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

... highschool students will learn about the period from the late 20th century to the early 22nd century, known as the Age of Misleadenment, while philosophers will debate how the Age of Reason set the stage for the Age of Incredulity.

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

This is why we withheld the name.

Kyra Hoggan

Editor

• LETTER: Teachers using kids to mask greed   1 year 10 weeks ago

What is the value of “freedom of expression” if that freedom needs to be curtailed not by government fiat, but by fear of repercussion not only to the person expressing the thought, but also to that person’s family?

How can a society deal with difficult and thorny issues arising from social, cultural, political, environmental, and economic changes if, for the sake of social, cultural and physical security, a person wishing to express a thought ought to wear a burqa?

A political climate which induces fear in citizens while purporting to be free and democratic is as odious as an openly repressive regime because it robs citizens of hope.