Other News Stories
by Timothy Schafer on Mar 16 2017
by Letters to the ... on Mar 15 2017
by Timothy Schafer on Mar 15 2017
by Contributor on Mar 13 2017
by Timothy Schafer on Mar 11 2017
by Letters to the ... on Thursday Mar 23 2017
by Canadian Centre... on Wednesday Mar 22 2017
by Rossland Telegraph on Wednesday Mar 22 2017
by David Suzuki on Tuesday Mar 21 2017
by Dick Cannings MP on Monday Mar 20 2017
CANDIDATE: Vicki Gee (RDKB -- E)
Please give a brief summary of who you are and why you have decided to run for office.
In 1999 my family & I finally realized our dream of moving to the Boundary. We love the wide open spaces & the small town atmosphere. We want our grandchildren to grow up here and we want to grow old here.
I’m actively involved in the community as a director of 3 non-profits (Bridesville Community Club, Kettle Valley Bursary & Scholarship Society and West Boundary Sustainable Foods & Resources Society). I also volunteer as a One-to-One reader at the local elementary school.
I’m finishing my 2nd term as a school trustee in the Boundary. Public education has been my passion my whole life. It’s the foundation of our society…it’s where we foster healthy, literate, engaged citizens…it’s how we sustain a democratic society. The more I’ve been involved with the school system though, the more I realize the need to improve resources and opportunities in the broader community. I made the decision to run for regional director because I see so many opportunities to improve services in the area by working across education, public health, business & regional district sectors. I’m amazed at the people & organizations that I see who are making changes that improve life in our area. I want to support these efforts.
2. What is your background? Have you held office before? What skills do you bring to the job if you are elected?
- I’m a software developer by trade. I’m good at managing large amounts of complex information.
- Understanding how businesses work; this comes from years of working with different companies in fishing, forestry & manufacturing.
- Looking at things from different perspectives. Challenging organizations to change.
- I put in a tremendous amount of effort with anything I do. I always do my research.
- I look at what other organizations & communities are doing. I happily steal good ideas.
- I love connecting people & ideas. I’m a communicator.
- I have 6 years of experience in a governance role. As your school trustee, I’ve held the positions of rep on the Aboriginal Education Council, chair of the Policy Committee, rep on the CUPE bargaining committee, and literacy rep in the West Boundary.
What do you think are the top three challenges facing the city/region/school district in the upcoming term?
Top 3 challenges facing Area E:
Providing services in rural areas.
Lack of jobs, economic development.
How do you plan on addressing these challenges?
Supporting the initiatives of our many agricultural, business, service, recreation, school, church & community organizations. There are amazing things going on by grassroots organizations in all of our communities. Supporting these initiatives with my time, connecting people, sharing information, finding funding opportunities.
Ensuring we live in a healthy & safe community by working with and supporting our medical, emergency services and citizen run safety organizations.
Making myself available by phone, email and in person. Making myself available to attend meetings when invited. Holding 2 public meetings each year in each community.
Seeking partnerships with public education, public health, businesses & other communities.
Encouraging public participation in regional district issues.
Advocating at the regional, provincial & federal levels for changes where needed.
- food security in our area
- sustainable economic development that is community friendly
- affordable housing project(s)
- initiatives to reduce poverty
- improve access to health services
- attracting young families to the area
If you could describe yourself in three words what would they be?
What is the one thing that makes you stand out as a candidate? OR What is the one thing you want people to know about you?
I don’t give up in the face of challenges. There is always something we can do.